Our Musculoskeletal Migraine and Headache Clinic is a first of its kind in New Zealand. Headed by Medical Director & Physiotherapist Murray Hing who has done his masters with first class honors in migraines and headaches. Our clinic offers preventative treatment for chronic tension headaches, chronic neck and back pain and migraine headaches.
Question – what is a migraine?
Our view is, it is a neural hypersensitisation of the brain (cognitive and limbic areas), and neural/nervous system. It is the brain purging, it is over stimulated, ie (liking to when we get food poisoning the stomach purges by making you throw up the bad food, here the brain purges by giving a migraine to reset the hypersensitised neural systems). Migraines involve multiple systems and multiple triggers all are different with every individual, so every individual needs to be treated as such.
The medical treatment protocols for migraine are to treat with medication, narcotics, anti depressants, triptans, anti seizure/epileptic medication, beta blockers, anti inflammatory meds, pain killers and nerve blocks. These only treat the signs and symptoms, they do not get to the cause of the migraines.
At Flexa Clinic we are using a combination of several modalities that look at multiple systems in a holistic way to treat migraine and chronic daily headaches to find the cause and put together a treatment plan to remedy.
The seven systems that are involved are:
- Brain which is cognitive and limbic
- Musculoskeletal – which involve joints, ligaments, muscles, fascia and posture
- Neural – Nervous system which has become sensitized.
- Endocrine – that involves hormones, neuro transmitter in balances.
- Gastro Intestinal
This requires a holistic approach and in depth assessment and overview of all the seven systems to determine what are the causes for the migraines.
- Holistic approach looking at treating all eight systems as mentioned above which have become compromised
- We look to find the multiple triggers which hyper-sensitized the nervous system and brain causing the migraines. These include such triggers as (hormones, food, breathing, posture, neural sensitivity and inflexibility, deprived sleep patterns, adrenal fatigue etc)
- The cervical spine in particular C2 (cervico trigemanial nucleolus CTN)
- Botox® , better known for its cosmetic use, has been used therapeutically to treat migraine since 1992. There is evidence of a direct effect on neurotransmitters within the central nervous system, with a resulting reduction in neural hypersensitivity which then gives a decrease in migraine frequency and intensity. Botox is injected into the V1, V2 and V3 pathways in the brain to have a specific desensitization of these over sensitized neural pathways in the brain.
- Ketones (Beta Hydroxy Butyrate). A substance produced by the liver from fat which promotes the body to use fat as fuel for the body and brain, this promotes Ketosis which is a natural metabolic state for healing of the body and has huge medicinal benefits. These Ketone supplements need to be taken in conjunction with a LCHF eating regime (Low Carb High Fat), this will put the body into Ketosis. The benefits of this are a decrease in inflammatory markers across all systems therefore a decrease in inflammation and pain and decrease in migraine frequency and intensity over time. There is also an increase in cognitive clarity and a decrease in brain fog. Increased energy level, decreased fatigue and improves systemic performance of all systems. Weight loss as the body now burns fat as fuel.
- Physiotherapy, involving a comprehensive muscle balance assessment (MBA), followed by a program to stretch and strengthen the structures in the neck and spine to promote muscle balance of the neck and spinal complex. This strength and flexibility program will need to be implemented and continued for an extended period of time until the spinal structure issues are resolved.
This migraine treatment is the first to combine Botox®/Ketones and physiotherapy, and addressing the seven systems mentioned above holistically to address migraine pathology.
Botox® has the direct effect on the neurotransmitters, and diminishes neural hypersensitivity for a period of a few months. It is this window of opportunity that allows migraine-causing triggers, such as poor posture and severe muscle tension and the compromised systems to be accessed, treated, corrected and balanced so that the migraines frequency and intensity can be diminished and finally resolved.
An initial 90-120 minute consultation and assessment will determine whether the treatment is suitable. This consultation includes a full muscle balance assessment and medical history and will cost $450.00 with Murray Hing or $350 with a senior physiotherapist.
If you suffer debilitating effects of migraine, headache please contact us to make an initial assessment appointment
Phone 09 481 0670
Email: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org